1. Archaeology of Israel in the Iron Age
2. Pottery analysis
3. Economy and society of ancient Israel
4. The history of Israeli archaeology
Doctor Hayah Katz
School of Social Sciences and Humanities
Land of Israel Studies B.A, Land of Israel studies M.A
Areas of Expertise
1. Archaeology of Israel in the Iron Age
History of the Land of Israel during the biblical period.
Economy and Society of Ancient Israel
Archaeological Museums in Israel
Main Aspects in the History of the Kingdom of Judah
Scientific Books (Refereed)
- A Land of Corn and Wine … a Land of Olive-Trees and of Honey: The Economy of Judah Kingdom in the First Temple Period. Jerusalem: Yad Izhak Ben-Zvi, 2008. (Hebrew) [230 pp.]
Other Scientific Publications
- Ruth Amiran: A Biography. Haifa: Pardes 2011. (Hebrew) [193 pp.]
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Pagelson, Y., Katz, H. and Goren, Y. “The Geopolitics of the Upper Galilee at the Dawn of the Iron Age: A Petrographic Study of Mt. Adir,” Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences 14 (2022) https://doi.org/10.1007/s12520-021-01462-6.
- Katz, H. “Mt. Adir: An Iron I Polity in the Upper Galilee?,” Tel-Aviv 48 (2021): 171-198.
- Sapir, Y., Sarah, P., Sapir, Y., Katz, H., and Faust, A., “Topsoil Formation Processes as Indicated from Geoarchaeological Investigations at Tel ‘Eton, Israel, and Its Environment,” Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry 21 (2021): 85-107.
- Katz, H. and Faust A., “Three Iron Age Ceramic Assemblages from the Tel ‘Eton Cemetery,” Atiqot 130 (2021): 121-139.
- Katz, H. and Levin Y. “Tel Rosh: The Forgotten Rehob in the Upper Galilee,” Palestine Exploration Quarterly, 153 (2021): 24-41.
- Katz, H. “Settlement Processes in the Meron Ridges during the Iron Age I,” Bulletin of the American School of Oriental Research 383 (2020): 1-18.
- Faust, A., Katz, H., Sapir, Y., Avraham, A., Sadiel-Gugenheim, T., Bar-Oz, G., Weiss, E., Auman-Chazan, H., Vilnay, O., Tsesarsky, M., Pariente, S., and Mastai, I., “The Birth, Life and Death of an Iron Age House at Tel ‘Eton, Israel: A Preliminary Report,” Levant 49 (2017): 136–173.
- Faust A., and Katz H., “The Archaeology of Purity and Impurity: A Case-Study from Tel ‘Eton, Israel,” Cambridge Archaeological Journal 27 (2017): 1–27.
- Faust, A. and Katz, H., “Tel ‘Eton Cemetery: An Introduction,” Hebrew Bible and Ancient Israel, 5 (2016): 171–186.
- Katz, H. “The Religious Zionist Society Attitude to Archaeology during the Years 1948–1967,” Cathedra 160 (2016): 105–122. (Hebrew).
- Faust, A., Katz, H. and Eyal, P., “Late Persian – Early Hellenistic Remains at Tel ‘Eton: A Preliminary Report (2006-2014),” Tel-Aviv 42 (2015): 103–126.
- Faust, A. and Katz, H., “A Canaanite Town, a Judahite Center, and a Persian Period Fort: Excavating Over Two Thousand Years of History at Tel ‘Eton,” Near Eastern Archaeology 78.2 (2015): 87–102.
- Faust, A., Katz, H., Ben-Shlomo D., Eyal, P. and Sapir, Y., “Tel ‘Eton from the Late Bronze Age to the Persian Period and Its Interregional Contacts: Between Highlands and Lowlands,” Zeitschrift des deutschen Palästina-Vereins 130 (2014): 43–76.
- Katz, H. and Faust, A., “The Chronology of the Iron Age IIA in Judah in Light of Tel ‘Eton Tomb C3 and Other Assemblages,” Bulletin of the American School of Oriental Research 371 (2014): 103–127.
- Faust, A. and Katz, H., “Survey, Shovel Tests and Excavations at Tel ‘Eton: Preliminary Notes on Methodology and Site History,” Tel Aviv 29 (2012): 158–185.
- Katz, H. “‘He Shall Bathe in Water; Then He Shall Be Pure’: Must He Immerse?,” Vetus Testamentum 62 (2012): 369–380.
- Faust, A. and Katz, H., “Philistines, Israelites and Canaanites in the Southern Trough Valley during the Iron Age I,” Egypt and the Levant 21 (2011): 231–247.
- Katz, H. and Faust, A., “The Assyrian Destruction Layer at Tel ‘Eton,” Israel Exploration Journal 62 (2012): 22–53.
21a. Katz, H. and Faust, A., “The Assyrian Destruction Layer at Tel ‘Eton,” Eretz-Israel 30 (2011): 256–274. (Hebrew).
- Katz, H. “Population Increase and the Olive Oil Industry in 8th-Century BCE Judah,” Cathedra 130 (2009): 5–16. (Hebrew).
- Katz, H. “The Ship from Uluburun and the Ship from Tyre: An International Trade Network in the Ancient Near East,” Zeitschrift des deutschen Palästina-Vereins 124 (2008): 1–15.
- Katz, H. “Tel Zeitun,” Qamma 1 (2007): 35–40. (Hebrew).
- “Methodological Aspects in the Research of Women’s Status in the Biblical Period,” Beit-Mikra 51 (2006): 72–84. (Hebrew).
- Katz, H. “Commercial Activity in the Kingdoms of Judah and Israel,” Tel-Aviv 31 (2004): 268–277.
- Katz, H. “A Note on the Date of the ‘Great Wall’ of Tell En-Nasbeh,” Tel-Aviv 25 (1998): 131–133.
Articles or Chapters in Scientific Books
- Katz, H. “The Phoenician Presence in the Mountainous Upper Galilee during the Iron Age II period,” in Material, Method, and Context. Papers on the First Millennium BCE in the Eastern Mediterranean Presented to Ilan Sharon on the Occasion of His Retirement (Ägypten und Altes Testament 110). Edited by U. Davidovich, N. Yahalom-Mac and S. Matskevich, 213-222. Münster: Zaphon, 2022.
- Katz, H. “The Pottery Assemblage of the 8th Century: A Concluding Observation,”. in Archaeology and History of Eighth-Century Judah. Edited by Z.I. Farber and J.L. Wright, 307–335. Atlanta: SBL Press, 2018.
- Katz, H. “The Royal Estates in Judah Kingdom in the View of the Archaeological Finds,” in Studies in Bible and Exegesis, Vol. 10, Presented to Shmuel Vargon. Edited by M. Garsiel, R. Kasher, A. Frisch and D. Elgavish, 239–251. Ramat Gan: Bar-Ilan Press, 2011. (Hebrew).
- Katz, H. and Faust, A., “Distribution and Use of Storage Vessels in the Kingdom of Judah,” in The Fire Signals of Lachish: Studies in the Archaeology and History of Israel in the Late Bronze Age, Iron Age, and Persian Period in Honor of David Ussishkin. Edited by I. Finkelstein and N. Na’aman, 175–184. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 2011.
- Katz, H. “Specialized Economy of Judea in the 8th – 7th Centuries B.C.E.,” in Judea and Samaria Research Studies: Proceedings of the Seventh Annual Meeting 1997. Edited by Y. Eshel, 245–252. Kedumim – Ariel: Ariel College, 1998. (Hebrew).
Entries in Encyclopedias
- Katz, H. “Economy,” in Oxford Encyclopedia of the Bible and Archaeology, Vol. 1. Edited by D. Master, 337–345. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013. (Refereed).
- Katz, H. “Shiloh,” in Oxford Encyclopedia of the Bible and Archaeology, Vol. 1. Edited by D. Master, 365–369. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013. (Refereed).
Other Scientific Publications
- Katz, H. “The Ancient Pottery of Israel and Its Neighbors from the Iron Age through the Hellenistic Period,” Journal of Near Eastern Studies, 76.2 (2017): 369–372.
Other Works Connected with my Scholarly Field
- Faust A. and Katz, H. Archaeology of the Land of Israel: From the Neolithic Period to the End of the Persian Period (Editors, co-authors chapter 1), The Open University. (Hebrew)
- Katz, H. King, Kingship and Kingdom: Studies in the History and Historiography of the Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (Editor, author chapters 9 and 27), The Open University. (Hebrew)
- Katz, H. Jerusalem through the Ages (unit 1), University. (Hebrew)